Thursday, October 20, 2011

Commissioned mural

This has to be one of my favorite murals I have ever done. It was so fun for the client to be able to customize an entire wall in her home. The first thing I did was had her lay out everything that she wanted to include on her wall. I loved that she chose her kids artwork from elementary school and other miscellaneous items that had meaning to her to fill up her space. This mural spanned from her bedroom to her sitting room upstairs. She lives in an incredible victorian style farmhouse that is authentic from the bright white casings and baseboards to the clawfoot tubs that are in every bathroom. This mural was done with a paintbrush and a sharpie marker. Its incredible what you can create with as little resources as I used.




I ended up buying around twenty frames and mirrors at the DI for around a buck a piece and refinished them to put on the wall. Spraypaint and glaze can easily change an old tattered frame into a high quality frame. This added a ton of dimension to the wall. 





The client chose a few sayings with custom artwork that she wanted included in the wall. They ended up really adding to the final piece.







These silhouettes were a last second addition that i loved adding to the wall. She wanted to incorporate her dogs in some way and I thought this would be a great way to do it. This is her boxer Ozmo.





And her Puggle Dexter.




I decided to fill up the final space on the wall with the first initial of all the kids in the family.







One of the most gratifying things about doing this mural was that the client told me she wakes up every day with an extra hop in her step because the mural puts a smile on her face when she gets out of bed. This is such an awesome way to personilize a mural and I hope I get the chance to do another one like it. ( who am I kidding......... my wife has already told me she wants this done in our home ).

5 comments:

  1. I love the DI for frames. You did a great job on the mural. I seriously love the silhouettes. They are so popular right now, and I'm sure your client loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good heavens! you are seriously talented. I found you through your brothers link and I want you to come paint every friggin wall in my house. How much do you charge for something like this?
    email me at anniehutchings@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really awesome. I saw your painting you did for Mandi of the tandem bike, very cool. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bike art you did for Mandi was featured at Young House Love. You are going to be getting A LOT of traffic!! Oh...it totally rocks, by the way.

    ReplyDelete